The Santa Cruz Police Department (SCPD) and UC Santa Cruz Police Department (UCSCPD) document all reported crimes in the city and on campus. All information is provided by the SCPD and UCSCPD. All suspects are innocent until proven guilty.

{City}

Man paints police car and downtown buildings

March 6, 12:05 a.m. — A SCPD officer was investigating an incident of graffiti in the Red Restaurant and Bar when they stepped outside to investigate another incident. The officer found a man vandalizing the patrol car with yellow spray paint. The man was found to have large silver markers matching the color of the marks in the restaurant bathroom. The yellow spray paint and tags found on the car have been found on various parts of Pacific Avenue and Laurel Street. The suspect was booked into Santa Cruz County Jail on felony vandalism charges.

Suspected robber arrested

March 6, 5:55 p.m. — SCPD stopped and arrested a man wanted for several robberies in a parking lot at Mission Street and Younglove Avenue. On March 2, the suspect entered Sylvan Music with a gun and forcibly took a vintage electric guitar. SCPD believes that the same suspect is behind several other recent robberies and thefts, including one at the nearby Valero gas station. While searching the suspect’s car during the stop, officers found a replica handgun that fit the description of the weapon seen by the armed robbery victims. The suspect was booked into Santa Cruz County Jail for armed robbery and grand theft.

Domino’s Pizza driver robbed at gunpoint on Westside

March 6, 9:50 p.m. — Officers responded to the 500 block of Woodland Way after a Domino’s Pizza delivery driver was robbed at gunpoint. The 21-year-old victim reported being approached by three men as he got out of his car with his delivery. The men demanded his cell phone, wallet and pizza, all of which he handed over. The victim was not hurt. The three robbers remain at large, and are described as being about 25 years old, between 5’10” and 6 feet tall, and wearing ski masks.

{Campus}

Student punched after taking pictures

March 4, 12:36 p.m. — A Crown student was punched in the face after taking pictures of protesters on the bike path near the Music Center.

Reports of mentally challenged man sexually battering female students

March 5, 1:32 p.m. — Female students at various on-campus residences reported that a mentally challenged man hugged and groped them. He also attempted to engage them in inappropriate, sexually suggestive conversation and tried to find out where they lived. The same man also gained entry to student residential buildings and approached female students in their rooms. The man is described as 6 feet tall, African-American, and approximately 20 to 25 years in age. He was recently seen wearing khaki pants, brown loafers, a striped button-down shirt and a navy beanie, sometimes carrying a large backpack.

Car has window smashed, door dented at Family Student Housing

March 6, 1:22 p.m. — A car parked at Family Student Housing was found with the driver’s side window broken and a dent in the rear passenger door.