California failed. It failed to pass a budget until more than two months after it was due. It failed to provide adequate public education and public services, and it failed the public.

Next Tuesday, registered voters have the opportunity to turn California around.

The outcome of Propositions 19, 21, 23 and 25 has the potential to change California’s future. It is imperative that every registered voter vote “no” on Proposition 23 and “yes” on Propositions 19, 21 and 25. The environmental health of California residents is at stake, as well as our access to state parks, potential for increased revenue and an end to overdue budgets.

Yes on Prop 19

By passing Proposition 19, California voters will create an opportunity to increase local revenue. Each county has the potential to collect on taxes from marijuana sales and this income will stay in the county.

The proposition offers Californians an opportunity to benefit from local funding by having local communities contribute to discussions about which programs get funded. Most of the current tax formulas send local taxes to the state where they are then redistributed back to each county.

Local governments are not often afforded the opportunity to decide when and where their money is spent. Proposition 19 could provide California counties with more income.

Yes on Prop 21

Proposition 21 is nothing short of necessary. California must preserve what is left of the hundreds of endangered plant and animal species for environmental and ecological health.

California’s state parks and beaches have been neglected for the last several years.

And they are in peril. Maintenance and repairs are not up-to-date. Last year, over 100 state parks were shut down part‐time or had to severely cut their services.

Revenue from Proposition 21 will stabilize the state park system. Funds are reserved for wildlife conservation and more and equitable access to these precious resources.

The proposition would give California vehicles free day-use admission to the state parks in exchange for a new $18 vehicle license fee, which would be specifically dedicated to state parks and wildlife conservation.

Do your due diligence on Nov. 2 and vote “yes” on Proposition 21. For the cost of a meal out, you can protect the future of California’s state parks.

No on Prop 23

While you’re acting on your conscience, protecting California’s forests and beaches, master the power in your pen and mark the “no” vote on your ballot for Proposition 23.

Proposition 23 doesn’t even belong on the ballot. If not for a corporate bank roll from billionaire brothers Charles and David Koch and Tesoro and Valero oil companies, this proposition would never have been more than a twinkle in the eye of these anti-environmentalists.

This proposition threatens to reverse two emissions regulation laws passed in 2002.

There is no environmental incentive for voters to consider. There’s just right and wrong.

Serving the interests of rich oil companies and their shareholders is the not the responsibility of California voters. Protecting the air quality and environmental health of California and Californians is.

Self-interested, wealthy old men are in excess on the California ballot this November.

Yes on Prop 25

Opposition to Proposition 25 is a testament to the rose-colored glasses through which fiscal conservatives see Prop 13. For more than 40 years, California has been one of eight states in the country that require a super majority to pass the budget.

The lack of funding for public eduction is an illustration of how well that has worked out.

Proposition 25 could put an end to haggling in Sacramento. In a super majority system, the majority party must frequently solicit moderate members of the minority party for votes. This bartering often manifests as unwanted amendments, which are frequently added last-minute to appease manipulative statesmen who want to swing the budget their way.

Penalizing legislators for failing to pass the state budget on time is a policy long overdue in Sacramento. Proposition 25 will keep legislators accountable to the public.

California is in a state of crisis. Now, more than ever, it is imperative that you make your voice heard. To those of you who have the privilege of voting this year, don’t forget that on Tuesday you can make a difference.

There are too many people in this state whose voices go unheard to allow the injustice of flouting a right that too few of us have.

Vote next Tuesday. The future is in your hands.

~~~~~~

Editors’ note: The staff of City on a Hill Press declined to take a stance on Propositions 20, 22, 24, 26 and 27. Each endorsement or opposition to the propositions featured above was supported by at least two-thirds of the staff.