Story updated 11/6/2011 at 1:05am

The Student Union Assembly (SUA) will be announcing plans to accommodate students who wish to attend the Nov. 16 UC regents meeting. A bus will not be provided due to budget issues that have led to cuts in funding for travel and conferences.

Alternative methods of transportation, such as a rental van or carpool system, are being looked in to, according to SUA external vice chair Nelson Cortez. Transportation arrangements will be announced once they have been finalized. Students who wish to partake in transportation accommodations are encouraged to sign up through the SUA website, studentunionassembly.org.

“Student attendance at the UC regents meeting is always important,” Cortez said in an email.  “A lot of times regents forget who they are supposed to serve, and whoever they see at the meeting is usually the only student they will come across.”

Cortez also noted the University of California Students Association (UCSA) is currently accepting applications for students who wish to be StARs (Student Advocates to the Regents). Students who participate in the program receive privileged access to regents meetings, as well as the opportunity to speak directly with regents regarding student issues. Applications can be found at http://www.ucsa.org, and are due Friday, Nov. 4, at 5 p.m.

According to another organizer, the UAW are expected to be organizing seven buses to accommodate students and others who wish to attend the meeting in San Francisco. The buses will be leaving shortly before 8 a.m. on the Nov 16. from an eastside UCSC location yet to be determined.